Friday 25 May 2012

Reflections on training: tweeting

As mentioned earlier, the training day tweeting session while viewing a video-presentation presented its main challenge in the difficulty experienced in trying to keep up with the presenter's talking and slideshow speed.


I also experienced some additional problems:
  • twitter.com turned out to be an underperforming platform. I was not able to find the retweet button and not all tweets pertaining to the twitter session showed up on my feed.
  • It was suggested that tweetdeck and hootsuite might be applications providing more flexibility and insight.
  • I have to confess that I had only ever tweeted on my phone before training day; getting used to tweeting on qwerty was not as easy as expected.
  • A very useful suggestion has to be the practise of having an electronic version of the presentation at hand. This would make c+p of key phrases easier, faster and also assist when one has missed out on a section.
  • Twitter prep is essential before every session, and would include things like saving the intended hashtags, having a quick look at the abstract or full paper, plus tweeting the intended paper/presenter to follow.
An aspect of specific concern to me would be letting go of my personal tweeting style, which is lighthearted, tongue-in-cheek, opinionated or commentary on a current issue. When it comes to private tweeting, I am prone to tweeting/retweeting arbitrary information such as : "have you seen Novak's new tennis outfit: pajamas!! #aussieopen", or "hee ha another six by tendulkar. #littlemaster" to "respect has to be earned. it does not come with the position. #spear". Attending the conference as a social reporter, and expected to be a professional representative of my employer as well as the profession, would require a definite mindshift in tweeting habits! Serious, respectful, objective, informative, true!

No comments: